Thursday, December 16, 2010

MIgliori Amici

I am a picture with a broken frame
You can see yourself mirrored in it

Eyes that have seen it all, the good and the bad
My head finding comfort on your shoulder
Remember the whispers of
"It'll be ok"
in my ear over and over until I believe it to be true
The smell of frozen pizza and the way our favorite ice cream melts on my tongue

Fear sounds like dragon flies flitting to and fro about the front yard

How I hated going for my weekly visits with Lisa in Des Moines
When no one understood but you
But I guess they weren't that bad, especially when you rode along with me

Our parents said we were "two peas in a pod"
But you hated it when I called us besties
Because it would makes us like all the others

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer
Was definitely not the case with us
Our long talks of truth were keeping the monster at bay

Hot as ice. It burned its way through,
But you gave me hope that I could fly away from the big mess I was in
Saying, "Cass, we are in this together," it made her believe she was not alone

And I never will be no matter what happens even as
Sweet sadness falls over us like a blanket

We will fight to win the losing fight until saying:

Attraversiamo

I trust in the promise whispered through the wind
Imagining each dragon fly flitting farther and farther away

No comments: